Crop Protection Plan

Crop Protection Plan

Postby RavennaRed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:47 am

Greetings SFP-Freers!

In addition to her regular excursions scouring the FFG World for recipes for our Co-op, Kren has also been working on a Crop Protection Plan for co-op members. Enlisting Gen and me, the three of us have been hoarding ingredients for the past 2 - 3 weeks. We've also had crucial contributions from Ros (keeping those cows growing to get the milk we need) and UncleBob (you can never have enough garlic!)

We're happy to say that we think we have collected enough ingredients and used them to produce the organics necessary to hopefully provide the entire Co-op with enough fertilizer, fungicide and pesticide to last from now through next summer!!!

We're doing this to create a vibrant Co-op with thriving farms that we contribute to collectively.

We will distribute these goods to you right away (for FREE!).

Our hope is provide each farm with enough products for each season and have ALL OF US contribute goods to maintain the system into future years. Our plan is to set a level of contribution for every farmer in order to maintain a sustainable level of these products for years to come. To do this, all farmers will contribute in some way.

Beginning farmers will be given one farm year to establish their farms before they need to contribute. During that year they will be given the products they need to grow their farms in order to become contributers. Amature farmers and beyond will contribute to a level comparable to their farm size. We believe a fair balance can be achieved to make this program work.

We will advise each of you regarding your future contribution very soon.

For now, here's is the distribution plan.

We have stockpiled - Organic Fertilizer Plus (OFP) and General Crop Protection (GCP). GCP is a combination of fungicide and pesticide that is more efficient than using separate pesticide/fungicide products from an endurance and cost standpoint.You will usually need 1 OFP and 3 GCP per crop / per season.

We will disperse the goods once each season.

Please do the following:

1 - Provide info for each crop that you have in the ground this Autumn:

How many plots do you have that need to be fertilized this season:

For each plot post the current:
Pest Resistance %:
Fungal Resistance %:

Please don't ask for fertilizer if you already fertilized this month or if you have a stockpile of these types of products already!

2 - Post the info on this forum with ALL the information.

3 - You will receive the products through the exchange.

4 - You will soon be told what you'll need to contribute for the next round of production.

5 - Begin to determine what needs you will have for Winter.

Your future contribution could include anything like: dedicating a plot for growing ingredients (like garlic, cayenne, etc.) for use in the making of the organic products or using your cash resources to obtain ingredients at the Market. You could also be asked to grow a plot of cereals in order to let it decompose into Organic Waste (this is a core ingredient and not easy to find on the Market!), etc.

Obviously this is our first attempt to put a plan like this in place, so there will be some bumps in the road along the way. But we think it is worthwhile for the type of Co-op we think all of us wanted to be a part of.

If this works, we hope to put a plan together for raising the quality of livestock by having the Co-op contribute to feed production. Keep in mind that Manure, Bonemeal and Cow Milk are key components of the crop protection products, so producing those products in higher quality on our own farms is important to all of us not just the livestock farmers.

We need to know that all members are agreement with this plan. Please contact Kren if you have any concerns.

Get your crop info posted ASAP please.

Cheers!
RR

PS - please take a look at our other forum post - Fertilizer Strategy - regarding how to get crops through the winter. Your success will be dependent on the timing of your autumn and winter fertilizer applications so it is VERY IMPORTANT to READ NOW if you want to give those crops a chance to survive with little loss.
RavennaRed

Re: Crop Protection Plan

Postby Lessard » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Ravenna - Well Done!

Both my farm and Gens are all set for this fall season, we are either at 100% protection or still have store bought products that we can use up before tapping into the coops supply. Thanks for ALL your hard work in pulling this together, all the endurance used to make the products for us and all the money you invested in purchasing ingrediants!!! Bob and Rosi, thanks to both of you for the ingrediants you contributed as well! I'm working on pulling the numbers together to determine an ingrediant replacement plan. I will messege you all soon or post on forum with your individual commitments. Please remember that the ability to produce full yield *7 crops everytime is beneficial to all of us. In order to kick this program off, Raven, Gen and my farms incurred almost all of the expense, and it wasn't cheap by any means. We were willing to do this once. But the future sucess of this program depends on EVERYBODY'S contributions in the coming years. Thanks in advance for your cooperation! Happy Farming! - Kren
Lessard

Postby UncleBob » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Guys you did a great job and i m awaiting orders on what you need i can plant to help. I m willing to plant garlic or to bulldoze plots with crops of mine to provide the organic waste.

Huge thanks to everyone for trying. You have my strong support in this or whatever other things we organize.

Bob
UncleBob

Postby Dometh » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Bravo and many thanks for all the hard work, thought, time, and expense needed to make this happen! I'm with Bob, please let me know how I can contribute. Below are my current stats:

Currently I have a total 6 plots of land with crops - ONLY 5 PLOTS that need to fertilized this season.

Macadamia
Fungal- 106%
Pest- 92%

Avocado
Fungal- 93%
Pest- 92%

Cashew
Fungal- 86%
Pest- 92%

Apricot
Fungal- 86%
Pest- 92%

Olive
Fungal- 87%
Pest- 92%

Chestnut
Fungal- 20%
Pest- 20%

Thanks!
Dometh
Dometh

Postby Rosio » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:08 am

Red - all my crops are either at 100% or will be tomorrow. Right now I'm fine.

Ros.
Rosio

Re: Crop Protection Plan - Winter 20

Postby RavennaRed » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:09 pm

We have stockpiled - Organic Fertilizer Plus (OFP) and General Crop Protection (GCP). GCP is a combination of fungicide and pesticide that is more efficient than using separate pesticide/fungicide products from an endurance and cost standpoint.You will usually need 1 OFP and 3 GCP per crop / per season.

We will disperse the goods once each season.

Please do the following:

1 - Provide info for each crop that you have in the ground this Winter:

How many plots do you have that need to be fertilized this Winter(starting !st week in December):

For each plot post the current:
Pest Resistance %:
Fungal Resistance %:

Please don't ask for fertilizer if you already fertilized this month (December) or if you have a stockpile of these types of products already!

2 - Post the info on this forum with ALL the information.

3 - You will receive the products through the exchange.

4 - You will soon be told what you'll need to contribute for the next round of production.

5 - Begin to determine what needs you will have for Spring 21.
RavennaRed

Postby chrmye » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Wow, you guys are awesome. I am willing to help in any way I can. I think I have already fertilized for autumn. I do have 1-7q and 4-4q organic waste and 137 manure if you guys want it. My crops as of 7/30 are:

Pumpkins - 91% Fertility
P.R. 40%
F.R. 20%

Black Grapes - 60% Fertility
P.R. 20%
F.R. 20%

Turnips - 66% Fertility
P.R. 10%
F.R. 10%

Winter Melons - 67% Fertility
P.R. 27%
F.R. 20%

Tomatos - 63% Fertility
P.R. 40%
F.R. 20%
chrmye

Q7 Organic Waste

Postby Rosio » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:18 pm

One way to get Q7 Organic waste is to buy products which are almost expiring. Seems that 200 units is the quantity that generally gives you 10 units of waste. Below that I'm seeing the numbers of return vary. I also, combine up my purchases using the inventory icon (brown stacked boxes) on the front page drop down. When you go into your inventory and choose a category, you can click on products to combine them. So for instance - if I have 1 unit of Q7 feed product @ 45% freshness and 26 Q7 @ 85% freshness I can click on one then the other to combine these two. When I say combine I mean the quantities will join AND the overall % of the new amount will be equal to the lower of the two freshness ratings. So in my example - I'll have 27 units of Q7 feed at 45% freshness.

I use this technique when I need to quickly reduce the freshness of a purchase I plan to turn into waste.

BTW - I've found I can't combine varying Q levels.

Hope this helps! Ros.
Rosio

Postby RavennaRed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 pm

That's great advice Ros.

I just took 400 units of Barley that I just harvested. and split them into 2 sets of 199 each by using the Exchange Board (i sold the extra 2 units left over.) I brought one set of 199 back to my silo. I found Barley on the market that had 1 day left on it. I bought 1 unit, added it to my newly harvested 199 Barley as you described and - Presto - 200 units of Barley with 1 day left on it! The next day I had 10 units of 7* Organic Waste. I wish the ratio was higher, but I guess it's similar to real-world composting.

If folks are interested in doing the above, my advice to add to Ros's is to try to do it in units of 200. Anything else above or below 200 seems to lessen the 10% ratio.

So if you have extra crops we could always use more 7* OrgWaste! Anybody willing to plant a crop of cheap cereal to use for just Organic Waste?

Cheers!
-RR
RavennaRed

Postby Dometh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:23 am

I'm anxious to help, please let me know how I can contribute.

Below are my stats for the winter:

Currently I have a total 6 plots of land with crops,

Macadamia
Fungal- 97%
Pest-83%

Avocado
Fungal- 84%
Pest- 83%

Cashew
Fungal- 77%
Pest- 83%

Apricot