Lowering Progressive Plot Cost

Got a suggestion to make this game better? If you have any good ideas post it here.

Lowering Progressive Plot Cost

Postby ma2oc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:05 am

I've cross posted this in Questions but thought it might be better categorized here. I really like the idea of having additional lands to build on and support the notion that they are available through SFP (for the sustainability of the game). I would just suggest that the progressive increase of the price be adjusted so that the final tiles are eventually reasonably attainable instead of being $60+ a piece. I know that some of these costs would be offset by sponsorship and/or bulk buys of SFP, but the continual +10 price increase makes it quite expensive nonetheless.
ma2oc

Re: Lowering Progressive Plot Cost

Postby dmax » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 pm

i agree! :D :D :D
dmax

Postby steve64-farm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 am

I would be interested in more plots as I have purchase all but 2 of my available plots, but the cost seems a little high to me. 20 SFP seems reasonable but the progressive increase is too high for me. I would like to suport the game, and would buy them if 20 was the price for all or even the first 10 and then go up to 25SFP. If each plot needs to be more expensive than the last, maybe thfirst could be 20 SFP and $1000.00 game dollars . And the game money price go up for progressive plots.

Steve64
steve64-farm

Postby tired_today » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 am

You can add my name to this list.
tired_today

Postby Fredownsyou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 am

I had a different thought regarding the new plots. 20 SFP is a significant amount and the fact that it continues to increase makes buying multiple plots of land just too expensive even if I was made of money.

Here's my take on it.

1) Draw a road on the mountain side along the bottom left to match the road going along the valley's bottom right.
2) All plots cost in game money in addition to a static 5 SFP. Currency cost increases the farther you get from the tiles along the road similar to how they increase in the normal plots based on distance from house.
3) The road on the main plot is purchasable for X amount of money. Buying the road allows you to buy plots in the mountain and valley areas.
4) Once purchased the road become 'dirt path' and causes all actions in mountain and valley areas to cost +100% endurance.
5) The road can be upgraded twice. The first upgrade is with in game currency and changes the dirt path to 'dirt road' which reduces the endurance penalty by 50% to +50% endurance
6) The second upgrade changes the dirt road to paved road and costs 20 SFP and lasts for 30 days before the road turns back into a dirt road. The paved road removes all endurance penalties.

Notable thoughts on this:
1) Keeps the SFP barrier for entry low. The dirt path which unlocks the two areas is with in game money and 5 SFP is low enough that people can purchase those plots with the gifts given yearly if they don't want to spend money.
2) With a static 5 SFP it encourages people to buy additional land in the newer areas. The price is cheap enough that you get a lot for your money's worth.
3) With the endurance penalty the more plots of land they buy the more attractive the 20 SFP per 30 days paved road seems in order to reduce endurance usage.
4) With a subscription system of 20 SFP per month you ensure a steady amount by people who use it versus lump sums from people who may or may not purchase a plot of land at 60+ SFP.
Fredownsyou

Postby david1354 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 am

There are 3 aspects to this Game that makes it a game. Endurance, Transactions and Land. Without limits on these the game would be the same as facebook farmville. Do the people complaining about the cost of the new land have a strategy to use the additional tiles? In the short term it may seem to be expensive, but, if you buy a new tile only when you really need it, the cost per month of game play will still be far less than a subscription to some of the popular First Shooter games. The philosophy of Free Farm Game is still valid, there is nothing stopping a new Farmer from achieving their personal goals without spending real money. Allowing all beginner farmers to easily buy 50 tiles with a credit card would break the the game. I think that Moshu's balance, of new format and price, is a reasonable one.
david1354

Postby ma2oc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 am

david1354 wrote:Allowing all beginner farmers to easily buy 50 tiles with a credit card would break the the game. I think that Moshu's balance, of new format and price, is a reasonable one.
I agree with you except that beginners can't buy these SFP tiles more rapidly than main tiles. Farms are still subject to their original limits.

I'm not sad about the tiles costing, but that the prices get so high so quickly makes the model ineffective. 20 or 40 SFP every now and then when I want a tile or two is perfectly reasonable to me. 100+ SFP a piece seems a bit high.

With a Master farm I do have a strategy to implement in using these tiles. I plan on purchasing up to 17 of them to put in bees and crops to support the added workshops. I'd love to have a chance to have a farm that "has it all" in a sense (or at least all I find curious).

I think the added tiles have the potential in the minds of some to unbalance the game. Some might not want to purchase them for the sake of keeping the game free and would fear the competition of others. It's far more inexpensive to buy a plot for 50,000 in game dollars than 20SFP (in my mind). This is especially true at the later levels where competition becomes less important and just completing missions is difficult enough.
ma2oc

Postby Fredownsyou » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 am

david1354 wrote:There are 3 aspects to this Game that makes it a game. Endurance, Transactions and Land. Without limits on these the game would be the same as facebook farmville. Do the people complaining about the cost of the new land have a strategy to use the additional tiles? In the short term it may seem to be expensive, but, if you buy a new tile only when you really need it, the cost per month of game play will still be far less than a subscription to some of the popular First Shooter games. The philosophy of Free Farm Game is still valid, there is nothing stopping a new Farmer from achieving their personal goals without spending real money. Allowing all beginner farmers to easily buy 50 tiles with a credit card would break the the game. I think that Moshu's balance, of new format and price, is a reasonable one.

Two simple strategies that make use of the new land are:
1) Bee hive in valley with the higher temperature will make high quality honey easier to acquire.
2) Silos for extra storage space.

Can't really think of something in the mountain area though. But I guess low temp crops in summer (garlic, cabbage, etc) would be effective.

Moshu's balance was never in question. It was the marketability and the business strategy that is questioned here. Additional outlets for SFP generate revenue for the game that can be used for development and maintenance. This is because SFP is purchase with real money so the more SFP consumed the more money is invested in the game. Having new plots of land purchasable for SFP is a great idea to increase revenue for this game and provide a substantial benefit to the players who make use of this without being overpowered. Land size is still determined by rank and how much action you can take on your farm is still dependent on the acquisition of food, endurance costs, and workers. Functionally speaking if someone at the beginner level were to be able to buy all the new SFP plots of land (which they can't) they would have neither the endurance capacity or the capital to make use of that land anyways. This is part of the balance between endurance, transactions, and land you speak of.

On to marketability the greatest hook to micro-transaction games is that the price is generally low enough that there are few barriers or restraints before making an impulse purchase. If you suddenly felt like buying candy and there was a $1 bar of chocolate that would satisfy that desire and a $100 dollar box of chocolates that would do the same you would pick up the bar without hesitation while you'd stop and pause over the $100. This is because the $100 purchase is significantly more costly than the $1 purchase for most people. Funny psychological trick with that actually and the perception of value, but I'm getting off topic a bit.

Purchasing a plot of land for 20 SFP is relatively minor. 20 SFP is roughly $2.50 USD so people will consider it a prudent investment since this amounts to pocket change for a lot of people.
30 SFP is a bit more troubling since this increase is from $2.50 to $3.75.
40 SFP is the tipping point for many people because the new land is now $5 which is the standard cost for most mobile games.
50 SFP is the breaking point for many people because now the land is $6.25 which is a bit more than a meal at a fast food joint.
With a bit of Excel formula magic the cost for your 5th piece of land is $7.50, the cost of your 10th piece of land is $13.75, the cost for your $20th piece of land is $26.25, and (just for giggles) the cost of your 39th piece of land is $50.00 which roughly the price for a triple A game. Though that's unit cost at total cost you exceed $100.00 at your 12 plot.

Now ignoring the players benefit for the moment (because more land is unquestionably a benefit) consider player purchasing power. Is it a wise business strategy to set the price for an additional plot of land at $30? $10? $20? Where will you generate the greatest interest in spending and purchasing SFP? As people are already stating the cost is too high, you can determine that people will refuse, out right, being asked to pay $63.75 for that last plot of land with a grand expenditure of $1,656 USD. If no one will purchase that plot of land, why have it in the game in the first place? What about the 25th plot at $32.50? If no one wants to buy 25 plots, why are the new regions 25 plots big?

If the SFP cost is lowered then more people will fall into that 'impulse buyer' mode and pick up land as they feel like it. For the record as well? At a static 20 SFP the cost of all 50 plots is still a staggering $125 USD. At that point I have to question myself if I want 50 plots of virtual land that I may not have the endurance or workers to manage properly, or a new 40' flat screen television on sale with Newegg. Hmm...tough choice.
Fredownsyou

Postby ma2oc » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 am

Wondering if Moshu had a chance to think about this/consider it? Maybe there is a reason the costs are high that I'm not seeing?
ma2oc

Postby GreenGiant » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:45 pm

I know this post is quite old, but from my perspective I'd be more willing to spend real money if the costs didn't escalate so quickly.
GreenGiant

Return to Suggestions